About BPO / FAQs
What is a BPO?
Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) is the delegation of one or more IT intensive business processes to an external service provider which in turn owns, administers and manages the selected processes based upon defined measurable performance criteria.
Spectrum of BPO services
- Customer Support Services
- Technical Support Services
- IT Helpdesk Services
- HR Services
- Data processing and analysis
- Editing and Indexing services
- Legal Services
- Finance and Accounting
- Online Research
- Healthcare services
The various outsourced functions need a variety of domain knowledge and hence candidates from nearly all courses can be absorbed in the industry in a profile of their interest.
The BPO Industry – present and future
(Source: Nasccom Everest Report – BPO Landscape 2012)
- From modest beginnings Indian BPO industry reached $11bn in 2007
- This is poised to grow to $220bn with India’s share going up to $60bn
- Despite market pressures and recession industry grew to $18bn by 2011
- This will take the current employment level from the current 0.7 million in 2007 to 8-12 million creating a massive window of opportunity
- 5 million of these new recruits would be in centers opening in the B and C category towns
- The domestic BPO business would grow for its current $2 bn to somewhere between $15-20bn within a decade creating a host of new opportunities
Why should I join the BPO Industry?
The BPO industry is one of the fastest growing industries in India and has created an enormous opportunity for the job seeker. From modest beginnings in 2000’s the industry has already clocked more than $ 18 billion in 2011 and employs nearly 12 lac Indians. Even in the period between 2007 and 2011 (a period of global recession) the industry grew @20% every year. Industry watchers and analysts have already given thumbs up to this industry to cross $ 50 billion within the next 5 years and create an additional 10 million jobs within this decade. Therefore it is a stable and growing industry which not only creates a secure job but also due allows one to grow very rapidly- much faster than any other industry.
What is in for me?
- Opportunity to learn and grow from diverse skill sets and varied clients
- Strong grooming for Managerial roles over the years
- Work with Some of India’s most Talented People
- Safety and Security
- Continuous Learning and Development opportunities
- Orientation to diverse and global customers and cultures
What are the learning and development opportunities the industry offers?
The industry offers exceptional training and development internally wherein it constantly builds skills on the soft skills and the domain knowledge that you are deployed. The endeavour is to create a globally accepted skilled professional. It also trains on quality and business improvement constantly.
Besides this most companies offer further education programs that are carried out within the premises through various top institutions. These are in technical, finance and management domain mostly. Besides creating this opportunity most companies finance this program either partially or completely.
Is working in a BPO safe, especially for women?
A BPO perhaps is the safest environment to work in. All employees move in air-conditioned cabs operated by the company from home to office and back. These cabs have an armed guard and are monitored from the office via GPS. Within the office there is every facility available from food to ATM to gymnasiums, doctors to concierge services. Hence it is fully equipped to handle all your needs. Each company follows a very stringent code of ethics against any kind of harassment. Thus it is definitely the safest environment to work in.
What is the growth opportunity?
The growth the industry is quick and unique as it is not only vertical but lateral as well which allows a person to experience a variety of functions and opportunities. An individual normally enters the industry in the operations functions for which the growth path is given below:
The alternative careers opportunities are as follows:
- Process Training
- Voice and Accent Training
- Business Development
- WAN Implementation
- Human Resource and Recruitment